The accounting needs of academies, and schools that are looking to convert to academies, are unique and often complex. We can provide support and guide you through every step.
Since 2010, we’ve provided valued support and advice to around 20% of academies across Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire, and have recently extended our services to schools in Warwickshire. Alongside the compliance requirements of the Companies Act, Charities Act and the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), we’ve guided numerous schools through the conversion process, and assisted with everything from governance and day-to-day accounting, to the creation of multi-academy trusts.
We currently act for a range of academies – including small, rural primary schools, large secondary schools and faith schools – and work with both single schools and multi-academy trusts.
Supporting your academy
Our experienced team have an in-depth knowledge of academy needs, with several members acting as school governors. Whether you are looking to convert your school to an academy or need help with ongoing accountancy services, we can help your school to achieve its potential.
We offer the following services:
- Guidance through the conversion process, whether it’s the initial conversion from a local authority school to an academy, or conversion to a multi-academy trust
- Implementation of cloud accounting software
- Statutory accounts preparation that ensures AAD, Companies Act and Charities Act compliance
- Statutory audits
- Regularity assurance reporting based on the current limitation of scope
- Preparation and audit of accounts returns
- Teachers’ pension scheme report audits
- Charity registration with HMRC
- Corporation tax returns
- Guidance on trading within an academy or a trading subsidiary and using Gift Aid
- Internal assurance services
- Grant audits for NCTL as part of teaching schools and other third parties
- Company secretarial compliance requirements
- Assistance with completion or review of returns for the ESFA, including budget forecasts
- Due diligence services for multi-academy trusts
- VAT reviews/health checks or advice on specific projects
- Guidance for governors on governance and strategic issues, including advice on policies
Providing expert advice
To provide our academy clients with the confidence they need and ensure that we are at the forefront of decisions being made in the education sector, we take part in numerous industry advisory panels. We are a founder member of the UK200 Academy Auditors forum, and we are also members of the ESFA Working Group 3, which has responsibility for the Annual Accounts Direction and other reporting requirements.
Sharing our knowledge
As part of our dedication to the education sector, we are keen to help schools across the region and offer practical advice through our free Academies Seminars. These seminars are open to clients and non-clients, and are ideal for head teachers, school business managers and governors. Speak to the team to find out when the next seminar is taking place.